Did you know that our bodies contain more calcium than any other mineral, in fact 1.5 to 2% of our total body weight? Bones and teeth contain more than 99% of the body’s calcium, the other 1% is in blood and soft tissues, where it plays many crucial roles. Unfortunately it is the most abandoned mineral in the human body.

What is Calcium?

Calcium (Ca) is a mineral found in food and is required for muscle contractions, nerve impulse transmission, blood clotting and regulation of cell metabolism. The amount of calcium in our bodies are regulated by hormones that control intestinal absorption, bone calcium release and kidney excretion. A lack of this mineral could contribute to the development of osteoporosis which is a progressive loss of bone mass, resulting in fragile bones and fractures. Dairy foods and fortified foods are a major dietary source of calcium in the US. Vitamin D helps the body absorb and retain calcium. Please keep in mind that calcium supplements can produce side effects, such as bloating and gas.

Why do we need Calcium?

In addition of playing a key role in bone health, calcium in blood and soft tissues are essential for diverse functions for example blood clotting, muscle contractions and nerve impulse transmissions as well as cellular metabolism.

Where can we get Calcium from?

  • Milk
  • Yoghurt
  • Cheese
  • Spinach
  • Broccoli
  • Kale
  • Chinese cabbage
  • Turnip greens
  • Beans
  • Sardine, canned
  • Salmon, canned with bones
  • Tofu
  • Nuts & Seeds

Who knew?

  • Metabolic Bone Disease occurs usually in pet turtles and is the outcome of not enough calcium circulating through their blood, also known as Soft Shell Syndrome. This can lead to repeated tremors, severe weakness, and bone fractures. This disease can be prevented with a proper diet and adequate sunlight and an additional lighting for reptiles.